The Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness cluster – Joint mission
“Joint cooperation and networking of all stakeholders that contribute to the defence and security potential and competitiveness of Republic of Croatia with primary goal of investing in new technologies, innovative products with export potential and high added value and creation of efficient and interconnected manufacturers base with capacities to deliver the integrated defense and security-oriented products and systems recognizable on the global market“
Why Competitiveness Clusters?
The main reasons for the move towards sectoral specialization is the factual low competitiveness of the Croatian economy and high regional disparities within Croatia. Considering the efforts to transform its economy and to integrate its market into the global context, the Republic of Croatia must ensure that all parts of the country can compete in that environment. The European Union experience shows that the best instrument for specialization and strengthening of the regions’ competitiveness is the setting up of clusters for sectors that have the potential to be competitive in the global market.
Legal Basis and Scope
Competitiveness clusters in the Republic of Croatia are initially conceived as non-profit organizations that bring together and network all the best business people and companies in a particular sector – small, medium and large entrepreneurs, scientific and research institutions that provide capacities and knowledge to a particular Sector and representatives of regional and local self- government that have intention to support the development of a particular industrial sector in its area. In its further work, the Cluster of Competitiveness of the Defense Industry has evolved into a model of the Innovation Cluster with jointly agreed cluster organization that coordinates membership activities in favor of membership.
Why Croatian Defense Industry competitiveness Cluster? The Croatian Defense Industry competitiveness Cluster represents a formal association of all stakeholders (particularly industry stakeholders) that in their activities and scope of operation support the defense and security system of the Republic of Croatia and the EU. The establishment of the Croatian Defense Industry competitiveness Cluster enabled the “Triple Helix “networking of the public, private and scientific research sector in order to prepare and implement R & D and innovation projects of the defense and security industry of the Republic of Croatia, which directly leads to strengthening the competitiveness of the economy of the Republic of Croatia.
The cluster was formally established on May 06, 2013, based on the decision of the sector stakeholders themselves, under the Triple Helix concept and encompasses the collaboration of the private sector, the academic community and public and regional self-government with the aim of raising competitiveness of the defense-defense industry of the Republic of Croatia through investments in research and development projects and new technologies.
The Cluster’s activity is closely related to the implementation of the Smart Specialization Strategy (RIS 3) and the programming of the financial perspective 2020-2030, where the Cluster acts as one of the most important implementing instruments and networking groups.
Introduction by the Chairman
Goran Basarac, President of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
Our vision in the Croatian defense industry competitiveness cluster is to consistently boost and encourage the innovativeness of domestic science and production resources for defense and security, as well as to increase the share of research and development investments for the development of new defense and security products and services. During financial perspective 2014-2020, we have demonstrated our capacities and worthy projects and we are recognized in several key strategic documents important for the development of the Republic of Croatia, such as; Croatian Innovation Strategy 2014-2020, and Croatia Smart Specialization Strategies 2016-2020.
One of our main goals is to serve as a constant platform for support and exchange of ideas between business entities dealing with defense-security production and scientific and state institutions in order to produce new products and services that address current and future security threats for society as a whole. It is also our goal to express a united standpoint of defense industry stakeholders in Croatia towards the relevant state institutions and policymakers on the issues of scientific research, technological development and modernization on the basis of its real capacities and interests of domestic industry stakeholders.
Research and development collaboration and new innovative projects are key to achieving the technological progress of the overall industrial sector of the Republic of Croatia and we will especially encourage this type of investment and cooperation in the goal of strengthening the Croatian economy.
The bodies of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
In its activities, the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster (CDICC) relies on 3 key bodies that ensure implementation of the decisions and activities of interest to all stakeholders.
Assembly of Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
- The Assembly is the highest governing body of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster, consisting of the representatives of regular members the Association
- The regular membership in the Association (Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster) is obtained after submitting the application for membership in the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster and signing Consortium agreement with Cluster Organization
- Membership in the Association is approved by the Management Board of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
- Regular membership in the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster is open to:
- entrepreneurs or business clusters the field of activity of which is complementary to the field of activity of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster**
- scientific research institutions (universities, faculties, colleges, institutes, private research organizations, etc.) that support the activity of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster through its programs and activities**
- local and regional governments, professional organizations, public institutions or associations that, through their work, contribute to strengthening the competitiveness of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
- Every regular member of the Assembly of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster is entitled to vote in accordance with the planned distribution of votes defined by the Statute of Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
** Field of activity of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster – any material-technical device, equipment, application, drink, food or service intended for the defense purpose and manufactured in accordance with specific standards in the field of defense and security, such as MIL and NATO standards, can be considered defensive, and producers of the above-mentioned falls within the defense industry. .**
Management Board of Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
- The Management Board consists of 9 members elected by the Assembly for a three-year term.
- The President and the Vice President are members of the Management Board immediately after the confirmed and verified election.
- The Management Board of Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster adopts and executes executive decisions that contribute to achieving the planned goals of the Association in line with the adopted Annual Activities’ Action Plan and the Work Plan presented by President
- The decisions of the Management Board are adopted by majority vote
President of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
- The Association (Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster has a President that ensures proper and lawful operations of the Association
- The President is elected by the Assembly for a two-year term and may be reappointed
- The President of the Association is also the President of the Assembly and the Management Board of the Croatian cluster competitiveness of the defense industry
- The President of the Association represents the Association and is responsible for the legality of Association’s operations
- The President chairs the meetings of the Assembly and the Management Board and implements those bodies decisions
MODERN DEFENCE CONCEPT
Today, the modern defense concept involves recognizing and understanding the undisputable connection and needed close cooperation of armed military services, civil and economic defense, with all security stakeholders involved: both military, internal security structures (police, civil protection, firefighting, etc.), defense industry and science.
In this regard, we can say that any material-technical device, product, service, software, computer program, ICT application, drink or food that can be used in defense and security purpose, and manufactured in accordance with specific standards in the field of defense and security, such as MIL and AQAP standards, can be considered as defense product and service, while producers of the above mentioned falls within the category of defense&security industry.
The main goal of Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster is contributing to the growth of Croatian Economy through targeted investments into research and development with the primary goal of producing new products and technologies (especially ones in defense “dual-use” field, cybersecurity and mine action program). These investments should boost sector competitiveness, export results, branding of products and services linked to this sector on EU and international markets, employment and formation of a highly educated and skilled workforce to this Economy Sector.
The future of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster
The future development of the Croatian Defense Industry Competitiveness Cluster is closely related to the process of entrepreneurial discovery which should, through the joint action of all stakeholders (and especially industrial ones), realize the following:
- Strengthening the Cluster as Platform for services of project identification and preparation (especially Industrial based) for the application on future available funding and support programs at EU level (Croatian Operational Programs 2020-2030, EDF, PESCO, H2020, etc.)
- Identify the new development directions and prospective niches for the defense industry sector stakeholders that will challenge and position Croatian defense industry in EU and global competition This identified directions and niches must be included in key development and strategic documents of the Republic of Croatia
- Constantly strive, encourage and direct the Croatian defense industry sector to R & D and innovation projects and activities that can provide added value to the sector
- Support defense and security policymakers in creating long-term strategic directions and legislative frameworks of interest to all stakeholders of the Croatian defense industry sector
- Reflecting and defining a single, sector-wide export strategy and brand promotion across the sector, with the implementation of targeted outreach campaigns based on the above-defined markets, niches and products
- Promote new market niche
- Training and Education of Membership and Cluster Leadership through a Certified Cluster Academy
- Participation in the mapping of available research and development capacities of the Sector, in order to develop a Technology Platform for the SECURITY Thematic Area which will present these identified and listed capacities transparently to everyone insight